Text Box: The Troy Family Website

Jersey. Channel Islands, Great Britain


About Jersey

Troy family history

My family

Our home

Our horses & animals

Morris Minors & Vmax

E.Troy Ltd

The occupation years

Shuttlers Badminton

Interesting snippets

Contact us

What's New


Guest book comments

Text Box: Troy Family
Text Box:  Edward Troy presentations
  and other articles…...

©Troy Family publications 2001-21

All rights reserved



Updated every 3 months .

Last update June 2021



July 21

Website administrator Maurice R. Troy

If you have any comments you would like to add about anything on this website please contact the website administrator.







During 2017


my new troyfamily co.nz


 web site started .







Following their annual custom, men employed for the potato season on the Hollyhead boats had their picnic yesterday afternoon.  The party left Mr. Barbier’s office, Mulcaster Street, shortly before 2 o’clock, and drove to St. Martins.  After a halt at the Royal Hotel the drive was continued through the Parishes of Trinity, St. Johns and St. Marys to Greve De Lecq;  another halt being made en route at St. Johns.  After a ramble along the beautiful beach at Greve De Lecq, and enjoyable games of skittles and football, the parties sat down to dinner at Mr. Pooley’s well known hotel.  The cloth having been removed, Captain A. Queree on behalf of the men, presented Mr. E. Troy, the Stevedore, with a handsome timepiece, which had been subscribed for by all hands, and which bore the following inscription:- “presented to Mr. E. Troy by the boys of the Hollyhead Boats, July 12th, 1899”.  Mr. Troy, who was completely taken by surprise, responded in suitable terms.  A smoking concert followed, songs being contributed by Messrs. F. Renouf “the home that I left when a boy”; G. Chesney, “down to the rose and crown”; F. Jannin, “an old man that was walking along”; J. Buckley “when your hair grows whiter”; D. Welch, “there’ll come a time some day”; E. Buckley, “Down went McGinty”; J. Carr, “Emerald Isle”; F. Thomas, “The lights of London”; M. McGrath, “A young sailor cut down in his prime”; B. Diamond, “All alive”; E. Voisin, “The man that struck Buckley”; J. Gilbert, “the soldier’s letter”; F. Honeycombe, “The soldier’s message”; Master Troy, “Blue Peter”; and “The sailor boy’s watch”, the latter also contributing a violin solo.  Messrs. Buckley also gave a piccolo duet, Messrs. Lobb and Carr, stepdances, and F. Renouf and G. Carr, broom dance.


The party returned to St. Helier in the early hours of this morning.



JUNE 30TH 1920




Presentation to Mr. Edward Troy


A number of merchants and farmers gathered at the Pomme d’Or Hotel Gardens this morning for the purpose of presenting Mr. E. Troy, who for 21 years has been chief stevedore of the Poole and Jersey ss. Co., with a tangible token of their esteem.  Mr. Tom Moor, who was appointed Chairman, said he had a pleasing duty to perform, and though he could not guess why he had been appointed to the task, he supposed that it was because during the greater portion of the 35 years he had been coming to Jersey he had had Mr. E. Troy under his control.  When the merchants had returned to their homes, Mr. Troy was still on the quays superintending the loading of the produce, often throughout the whole of the night, and it was gratifying to state that something like three-quarters of the whole of the crop passed through his hands.  It was a weight of great magnitude and represented a vast amount of money.  The farmers and merchants thought that they should show in tangible form their appreciation of the services he had rendered, and he asked Mr. Troy to accept on their behalf a handsomely-framed address, executed by Mr. G.H. Dene and a cheque for £106.


Mr. Moor then handed Mr. Troy the gifts amidst prolonged applause.


Mr. G.P. Perrédès having also spoken, Mr. Troy briefly expressed his thanks.


The testimonial, which is of a handsome design, bears a painting of the ss. Ouso and a photograph of the recipient, with the following inscription:-


JERSEY, JUNE 30, 1920




SIR - This testimonial together with cheque has been subscribed for by the potato merchants and farmers of Jersey and presented to you at the close of the sea, being your 32nd year with the Poole and Jersey ss. Co. (Holyhead and Newhaven service), also your 21st year as Chief Stevedore, in appreciation of your good services, civility and readiness to assist the trade at all times during the whole of that period.

Signed on behalf of the

Merchants - JOHN E. TERRY

Farmers - G.P. PERRÉDÈS




We hear of the body of this unfortunate man, the circumstances of who’s death we reported last night, was this morning handed over by the Police to the relatives, the authorities having decided no inquest should take place.  It is reported there was some possibility of an interesting question being raised in connection with the case, but eventually the necessary order for the burial was issued.







A man named Patrick Troy, fireman on board the Honfleur, came by his death at Granville last night under particularly sad circumstances.  It appears he was returning to the steamer at about midnight, it being then pitch dark, causing him, it is supposed to miss his way.  Whatever the reason, however, the unfortunate man evidently walked or fell into the dock.  The Customs Patrol hearing a splash took immediate steps for the rescue, throwing out the drags which are held in constant readiness.  The attention was attracted of Captain Allix, Mr. Heathcote, the mate, a Mr. Andrews, the Steward, of the Honfleur and they joined in the search, but the tide being about high at the time and the night dark, it was some time before the body of Troy was recovered, and then not before life was extinct.  The body was taken on board and brought over to Jersey today, the necessary authorities to this effect having, we believe, been obtained from the Prefecture De La Manche.  Immediately on arrival Capt. Allix gave information of the sad affair to P.C. G. Coutanche, who was on harbour duty, and the circumstances were in due course reported to Centenier Bossy, by who’s direction the body was transferred to the General Hospital, where it remains awaiting an inquest.  The deceased who was about 36 years of age, resided on the Esplanade.  He was a very steady man and leaves a wife and three children; he had been for a considerable number of years in the employ of the London and South Western Company, and was held in great and general esteem on board the Honfleur.



St. Patrick’s Church

by William. Troy


Picturesque Beginnings!


The site of a father cycling into Mass along a windswept country road, one little child on the cross-bar in front of him and another in the carrier behind, set up a train of thought in an onlooker which eventually led to the church of St. Patrick.


The time was mid-way through the German occupations, the scene was the Samares Inner Road, and the principal actors were two Catholics well known at St. Mary and St. Peter’s – Messrs. Bob Troy and Fred Knight.  The former was the father on the cycle, and it was Freddie, who on seeing him, thought it was time that the Mass was brought out to Samares.  When he made this idea known to Bob Troy, the latter acted quickly and told the priests in town about his idea.  They agreed, and a former army hut, which before the occupation had been turned into a couple of tiny cottages, was rented, and, with the permission of the owner, was very quickly gutted.


Work on an Old Army Hut

By this time that grand Catholic, the late Mr. O.H. Griffin had interested himself in the project, and Messrs. Richard Troy and Fred Hidrio gave valuable assistance in the work of transforming the old hut into a temporary church.


Friends from the town also helped, and it was an enthusiastic band that carried out the hundred and one tasks necessary before the little building could be turned into a fitting House of God.


The work was eventually accomplished, and all the necessary fittings and furnishings provided.  The Beeches loaned an altar, a generous donor supplied a small organ, Bert Young helped with the furnishings, and, whenever any little difficulties presented themselves, Mr. Griffin would be there with a word of encouragement, a cheery smile, and, so very often, another pound or a few shillings more from a pocket not over full.


He was undoubtedly a wonderful example.


So we justified the confidence our parish priest, Father Arscott, had shown in us, and we delighted the curates who helped us in every way they could.


St. Patrick’s Chapel is Opened (1943)


The chapel was opened on the Sunday within the octave of St. Patrick, a fitting date of a church in the foundation of which so many Irish descent had played a prominent part, and for which the name of Ireland’s patron saint had already been chosen.


Existence of a New Mass Centre Justified

It soon became evident that St. Patrick’s fulfilled a long felt need in the district, for the congregation grew steadily.  With the liberation of the Island came thoughts of a larger and more permanent church, and this was followed by the formation of a building fund committee.


Steady progress was made, plans were invited and discussed, and it was not long before the advent of one who showed himself a great friend that the whole project really began to move forward.  Mr. George Boudin, although not a Catholic, was the husband of one of the helpers.  George came along with his wife and in a short time all the team were fired with enthusiasm, and from that day on there was something in the nature of a triumphant success.  £1,000 was raised in the first year, largely the result of a wonderful bazaar.


All Set for the Foundation of a Permanent Church

Inspired by the first year’s success, plans were prepared for a permanent church, and, with the permission of the clergy, they were laid before His Lordship the Bishop of Portsmouth.


Warm approval was given for the work to go ahead, and, on September 27 1948, the foundation stone of the new church was laid by the Bishop who had flown specially over to the Island to perform the ceremony.


***Footnote: The church was opened on March 20 1949 and was cut off from St. Mary and St. Peter’s to become a parish in its own right in November 1968.  As well as having a fine granite altar and matching altar rails enhanced with sculptured Celtic crosses, the font (also in granite) is of very pleasing design.  The stained glass window (erected 1953) over the main door is the work of the Harry Clarke Studios (Dublin), being of compatible design with the splendid “Irish Window” in St. Mary and St. Peter’s.

More on Edward Troy’s 1912 Silver wedding presentation is on my contacts page.

Tragic death of Patrick Troy my grandfather Edward’ s brother

St Patrick’s (Jersey)


It is situated  at Samares in the Parish of St Clement.

Patrick Troy was a tea totaller and there were suspicions raised over his death.


Was it murder or a tragic accident? 

We will never know.

Special Mass held to mark 60th anniversary

April 2009


MORE than 250 people gathered on Tuesday night to celebrate the 60th anniversary of St Patrick’s Church in St Clement.

At the Mass, which followed the original service from 1949 when the church was first opened, guests were joined by some of the original altar boys and even the original organist from the first service.

Members of the Troy family, who built the church, were also present, as was the former priest, Canon Peter Turbitt, who served the church in the 1980s.

Organiser Maurice Etienne said that the Mass was enjoyed by everyone who attended and that there were just too many people to thank individually, but everyone who had been involved had helped to produce a wonderful celebration.












Above: Dermot Troy, John Lane, Bob Troy,

Andrée Etlenne, Dennis Troy and Maurice Etienne.

The original St Patricks built in the old scout hall then a chicken hut and formally an army hut.

The new just built St Patricks church.

The new alter

Father Dennis Ryan

Ordained in 1947

Father Conway

Above: Father Hickey with from left to right my brother Dennis , Patrick Harrison, the late Johnny Grier and other alter boys.

My first communion 3rd May 1953 at St Patrick’s church with Father Ryan. That's me in the long white trousers.

Other priests in my time were Father Anthony Moore and Father Colin Ward who died 24/9/2019



"Walk a little slower, Daddy," said a Child so small.

"I'm following in your Footsteps and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast.

Sometimes they're hard to see.

So walk a little slower, Daddy, for you are leading me.


Someday when I'm all grown up, you're what I want to be;

Then I'll have a little child who’ll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right and know that I was true;

 So walk a little slower Daddy, for I must follow you."


All fifteen of us taken Aug 2015.

We don’t inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.